Friday 15 June 2012

Sweetcorn Patties

Was tempted this morning to pop into the butchers' on the way home, and lazily meat my way out of my inventiveness failure. But NO! Instead I remembered that I'd been meaning to make sweetcorn patties for ages, but hadn't because sweetcotn were so perfect on the barbeque during the summer. Miraculously they're still cheap in the store so we picked up a couple at the weekend, along with a massive bag of cheap and wonderful avocados - perfect for salsa. With the remaining sweet potato and a couple of store-cupboard tricks, I had a whole meal ready to eat in half an hour, which was good as I stayed late finishing my talk for the conference in India next week.

Ingredients:

  • kernels cut from two large sweetcorn-on-the-cob
  • one large egg
  • 5 tbsp plain flour (chickpea would probably be quite tasty too)
  • three spring onions, roughly cut into pieces

Put half the kernels, the egg, plain flour, and spring onions in a blender, season well with salt and black pepper, and whiz into a chunky paste. Stir with the remaining kernels. Heat a little vegetable oil over a low heat in a non-stick pan. Using two spoons, drop 2-tbsp-size portions into the pan, and flatten with the back of the spoons into a patty shape. Fry gently, about 4 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment