Sunday 22 May 2011

The Special Sandwich

This has been my favourite sandwich since I was a tiny child. I was very set in my ways and would always have tomato-and-cream-cheese or cucumber-and-cream-cheese at school, but at the weekend when I ate lunch with my parents, I would absolutely demand 'the special sandwich'. I now use cheddar instead of Monteray Jack; I'm sure if I could source the latter here in the UK, I'd be instantly transported back to the kitchen in Houston two decades ago.

Ingredients:

  • 2 slices of granary or wholemeal bread, preferably home-made
  • 2 tbsp (approx) of Helmann's mayonnaise
  • 4-5 slices of pastrami
  • a handful of grated cheddar cheese
  • 3 fluffy leaves of lettuce, washed and spun

Spread the mayonnaise over one side each of the bread slices (not all on one side!). Fold the pastrami slices into attractive fluffy wiggles on one piece of bread, so they are well aerated - this gives the sandwich more air and I reckon it makes it taste even better. Add the grated cheese, and then the lettuce leaves, and then the other slice of bread. Slice diagonally (sorry, Doug!) and serve with cherry tomatoes.

The greatest sandwich of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment